Monday, February 2, 2015

Never Stop Dreaming

I had a few dreams I aspired to growing up.  First, I wanted to be a marine biologist.  As a typical teenage girl, I loved dolphins. I was fascinated with their speech. Visiting Sea World and the Pacific Ocean only reinforced that love.

Then I wanted to be a "fire lookout". You know the one who sits in a one room tower watching for signs of trouble (or Sasquatch) in the forest?  That developed into wanting to be a fire hot shot battling raging forest fires.  They both still appeal to me.

I have always loved music.  I started piano lessons around 7 and as the years progressed I developed my own compositions.  I wanted to eventually compose music for movie trailers and movies. In my daydreams, I owned a house by the ocean with a music studio (and no other commitments other than make music all day as I watched and listened to the waves). 

In high school I worked with a toddler with Down Syndrome implementing her IEP.  The thought of working with children with disabilities in the future appealed to me.  The toddler's grandfather, who was a speech therapist himself in Washington, watched me work and told me I had the skill to become a great speech therapist.  

I also loved to write.  The local newspaper allowed me to take photos and write articles for couple years, but ultimately I aspired to historical fiction and drama.

There was also ice skater, dancer, and participating in a triathalon on that list.

Looking towards graduation, I narrowed down my interests to lawyer or interior designer.   After asking to intern at a few places in the surrounding area, all the designers killed that desire when they told me how they hated their job.  Thus, lawyer it was to be.

Fibromyalgia killed that dream.  To tell you the truth, I am extremely grateful.  As argumentative as I could be, I was never cut out to handle that career.

I feel like this season has killed many of my dreams again.  And I wonder which ones are dreams that I am just not cut out for.  But I also know that some dreams can come true.  

One of my dream was to run a half marathon and I DID and I did it in the middle of all this health crap.  I didn't do great, but I wasn't last and I didn't quit.  I can't tell you how many times I have looked at that medal with so much gratefulness for that memory.

So I look forward.  I have some dreams and hopefully in a few years I can look back and see that I have accomplished or am able to accomplish them.

~ run a full marathon (and time well)
~ play the violin
~ write a book
~ record an album of "movie trailer music"
~ and many other dreams to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment