Thursday, October 22, 2015

Lessons from an Orchid

I wrote this October 20, 2014. I thought it would be a good reminder to post it here on my blog.
A dear friend gave me an orchid this summer.  It has the most gorgeous blooms of pink and maroon.  I don't know much about orchids, so when I started reading more about how to care for this beauty I was saddened to read it will need pruning.  When I have thought about the word "pruning" I have thought about deadheading or cutting off dead and non-fruit bearing limbs. With the orchid, I am to cut off LIVE and THRIVING blossoms by cutting the bottom of the stalk. I can't bring myself to do it.  

I feel like that orchid, as God is doing that kind of pruning in my life. The beginning of this year, I started dealing with persistent abdominal pain, fatigue, and strep almost every month.  By this summer, any kind of activity would land me in bed for the next day.  I would get up to get the kids meals and fall asleep for the rest of the day.  I remember crying one day and asking God why the doctors didn't have answers and five minutes later through a gal I was meeting with He answered that prayer by giving me the name of another doctor who was able to get some answers. 

Turns out I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and Adrenal Fatigue. It's been a confusing and challenging time dealing with light headedness, fatigue, not able to think, aches, lymphatic system not draining, etc. The adrenal glands regulate energy production and storage, immune function, heart rate, muscle tone, and other processes.  The adrenals are constantly shifting the little energy they have to different functions of the body which means most of the functions don't have the full support they need.

One of the hardest things to adjust to is all that has been "taken" or pruned.  I have lost confidence in myself.  I don't know when I will snap with the slightest stress, cry for no reason, have an energy burst or energy crash.  I have lost relationships. I don't have energy to make the effort and have had to cancel countless plans.  I have lost hobbies. 

God is cutting away good things, the beautiful blossoms in my life.  I am cut bare, vulnerable.... down to the bare minimum.  My focus has had to been refined.  And yes, I am still struggling with the changes, the pruning, the refining. Like those gorgeous orchid blossoms, I want to hang onto my own strength, relationships, and the things that bring joy to my life.  

I strive to find a different kind of joy in this journey. I strive to bless His name who takes away, because I KNOW He always gives something better - Himself.  I know there is a harvest of blossoms coming.  I know that this time of pruning will reap rewards of a closer walk with Christ and a better, focused calling as wife and mother.  

I don't share this for pity, although prayer is always welcome.  I share because I know I am not the only one who is fighting a battle... a battle of seeing the benefits of pruning in your life.  Not only are you not alone, but take courage as there is a harvest coming - and it's beautiful.  So goodbye, blossoms.  Even though life feels dormant, new growth is around the corner. 

Heb 12:11  For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. 

Php 3:8  Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ. 

Psa 16:5-6  The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment